Our Motto

This is the day that the LORD has made REJOICE and be glad!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Blogging my sweat away

So here goes our blogging life. I wanted to share about my triathlon adventures and our family.

Friends,

On August 20th my family was blessed with a wonderful gift. My niece Lydia Eileen was born. Our excitement quickly turned to worry; Lydia started having seizures as soon as she was born. The first time I went to see Lydia she was in the NICU and I was with my brother Micah. As I was meeting her for the first time, her little face started to turn blue. We watched nurses race to make her breath and get her levels back to a safe level. Soon, we learned that she would be diagnosed with something called Zellwegers syndrome. It is a rare genetic disease that causes her to seizure often and struggle with breathing. On April 28th, after 8 incredible months, she went to be with Jesus.

Lydia was a fighter and a blessing from Jesus. I personally learned more from this little girl’s life, than I have from anyone else. Her life has pushed me to be the best that I can be in Jesus. It has reminded me that I have been blessed with so much and therefore, much is expected of me. I have a body that moves, and heart that works, and lungs to breath. While Scott and I were in Connecticut for the memorial service, I decided that I wanted to use the body that I have been gifted with to serve Jesus. I made a choice to run to share Lydia’s story and use the body that God has blessed me with.

On August 1st, I am going to be running my very first triathlon in Lydia’s honor. My goal is to finish! While completing this triathlon I am hoping to have 2 things happen. First, I am hoping to share Jesus’ love through sharing about my niece. I want her story to be known and for Christ to be celebrated in her life. Second, I would like to raise support for the scholarship fund in her name at Christian Heritage School. CHS holds a special place in my life and also in the life of my brother and sister-in-law. By supporting this scholarship, it will allow more children to have a wonderful education that might not normally have the chance.

So now I am asking you, please consider supporting me as I train for the triathlon. Here are a few things that I am asking for…

*Pray that God would give my body the strength to finish the whole race.

*Consider pledging me for the race to support the scholarship fund in Lydia’s name.

Starting 1 month before the race, I am going to start blogging with my training. Please read along on www.dolhamfamily.blogspot.com

If you want to learn more about Lydia’s amazing life please go to her blog at www.lydiaeileen.blogspot.com

If you are encouraged to support me through a pledge, please contact me.

Thank you so much for your prayers and support. It is good to know that I am using the body that God has given me to glorify him.

In Him,

Liz

4 comments:

  1. I think what you are doing is amazing. When my girls died I ran a half marathon in their honor...and then I ran it again the next year. Now it is sort of my "thing," something I dedicate to them. I wanted to let you know that I have done a triathlon before and can offer a little bit of help if you need any. Also I have a blog called The Perseverance Project at wwww.theperseveranceproject.blogspot.com and I cronicled my training for both triathlons there...if you look at past posts you might find some inspiration. BTW, I am Jen and Micah's friend and we both have babies in heaven. Kill it for Lydia! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant both half-marathons, not triathlons, sorry...typo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz...you've inspired me to do something for Lydia's Fund as well. :o) Thank you!

    http://psalmsillustrated.blogspot.com/p/lydia-pin.html

    ReplyDelete